Have confined space but desperately want to get yourself a gym equipment?
A compact home gym is a great option to keep yourself motivated and meet your fitness goals in the comfort of your home. Instead of buying separate pieces of equipment, getting a compact home gym may help you target various muscle groups of your body, all through one machine.
To help you with the dilemma, we have put together comprehensive reviews of best home gyms in the market, each with different features and capabilities. There are also a few budget-friendly options included here.
Let’s head over to the reviews, but before that check out which home gyms are our top 2 choices:
Our Top Compact Home Gym Choices 2020:
#1 Weider Ultimate Body Works
#2 Total Gym XLS
Who should buy a Home Gym?
People who want to reap below mentioned benefits, can opt for a home gym without a thought:
- Comfort of home: For most people, working out at home is always more relaxing and consistent than exercising in professional gyms. That’s because you don’t have to wait for your turn to hop on the machine, you don’t need to worry about people watching you, nor do have to pay any membership fee! With a home gym, you can work out whenever you want!
- Full Body workout: Another reason of getting a home gym is that it is the best means of getting a full body workout. Instead of buying various equipment, just get a home gym that provides 30 to 80 different workout options for upper as well as lower body muscles. Not just that, a home gym is able to build muscle strength as well with the help of weight stack.
- Ideal for any fitness level: A good home gym is suitable for amateurs as well as pro fitness gurus. Advanced users have the option to go for weight-based home gyms.
- Low impact workouts: We all know how low impact workouts are meant to target our cardio. Anyone who wants to retain their cardiovascular health can opt for home gyms. That’s because home gyms mostly use your body weight or smooth resistance of elastic bands that are easy on your joints. Rehabbing patients can also utilize low impact resistance-based exercises for pain-free muscle recovery.
Factors to consider before buying a Home Gym:
- Size: Home gyms are quite heavy, so make sure to fix a place in your home where you want to place it. Most of the home gyms are compact and feature foldable design. But, few models do not collapse or might feature larger footprint. So, it is best to check its measurements before purchasing.
- Price: A home gym can cost anywhere from $400 to $2000, so choose the one that suits your fitness goals, current fitness level and body size. If you are serious about training, getting a high-end home gym will be certainly worth it for muscle strengthening. But keep in mind, the bigger the machine, the more expensive it will be.
- Resistance: Entry-level home gyms mostly make use of your body weight as resistance. Whereas, some advanced models come with resistance bands or rods for increased intensity. One drawback of resistance-based home gym is that the resistance bands/rod tend to lose their elasticity over time. You might need to upgrade or replace these bands and rods from time to time.
- Weight stack: Make sure you check the range of the weight stack, especially if you plan on getting stronger and fitter. It should have enough additional weight to allow further progress.
- Rolling seat: Rolling seat provides wider range of workout options such as rowing. Cheaper models mostly come with a fixed seat. Make sure you check the type of seat before purchasing a home gym.
- Types of exercises: Consider what type of exercises you want to do with your home gym. Different models differ in what exercises they offer, how they work and how they can be stored. Some only target upper body whereas some models aid full body workout.
- Type of home gym: If you are planning to lose some weight and tone your muscles, then resistance-based home gyms are your optimal choice. But if you want to build muscle mass eventually, you are better off opting for a weight-based home gym.
Top 5 Home Gym reviews in detail
1. Weider Ultimate Body Works
Weider Ultimate Body Works is the most affordable home gym option to offer great value for money. It might not have flashy features like those high-end gyms, but it effectively helps you achieve your fitness goals like a pro.
Weider Ultimate offers a whopping 50 body-shaping exercise options to target your core muscle groups of the body. It makes use of your body weight for resistance, but 4 stretchy resistance bands provide the option to increase resistance up to 50 pounds of weight for harder lift.
The multi-purpose design of this workout bench features adjustable incline with wheels, in order to aid both upper as well as lower body workouts. You can adjust the incline up to 8 levels with pulley on each side, so as to suit your body size, existing strength level and workout goals. More steeper the incline, greater will be the resistance. Consistent use of the equipment will enhance your flexibility and strengthen your muscles altogether.
- Please Note: Weider is the only manufacturer and Amazon is the only authorized seller for this product on this marketplace. We do not guarantee...
- Maximum Weight Capacity:250 lbs
Rolling vinyl seat lets you glide front and back along the robust steel tubing for smooth movements, just like a Pilate’s reformer. Adding to its versatility, the cable and pulley system offers greater range of motion and better versatility.
Maximum weight limit for this home gym is around 250 lbs.
Weider also provides a Professional Workout Guide detailing how you can perform up to 100 exercises with the given equipment. Overall, the Weider Ultimate Body Works Bench provides exceptional gym-like workout experience at the comfort of your home. It is the best home gym for people who have limited budget.
- Features padded glide board, squat stand, pulley system, nylon strap handles, workout guide and 4 resistance bands.
- SpaceSaver® Design allows you to fold the bench for compact storage when not in use.
- Adjustable incline up to 8 levels lets you completely customize the workout to your optimal position.
- Padded rolling seat and adjustable incline targets oblique muscles and lower abs effectively for intense training.
- Telescoping design with 4 adjustable power bands will target your hamstrings, calves, glutes and quads.
- High pulley system reinforces power of adjustable resistance bands for intense training.
2. Total Gym XLS
Next one on the list is this Total Gym XLS which is an exceptional choice for a full body workout. Its gliding seat comes with head support and various attachments designed to enhance your at-home workouts. These accessories include a wing attachment, 2 ankle cuffs, leg pulley accessory with detachable bracket and ribbed squat stand.
This equipment might seem a little costly, but its durability and versatility makes it all worth it!
The upgraded design of Total Gym XLS is remarkably compact and features small footprint to save space, even when fully extended. What makes it stand out from the rest is that it does not utilize additional weights to increase resistance. Rather, it makes use of your body weight (6% to 54%) to achieve different levels of resistance.
Talking about the quality, the XLS model’s frame equips black-powder coated lower rails, chrome-plated upper rails and 2” x 1.25” steel tubing. The overall weight of this home gym is around 37 kg, as it comes with dynamic pulley system (unilateral/bilateral) and a glide board. The board upholstery features non-tear vinyl cover for durable use. For additional comfort, the glide board encompasses 1.5” high-density foam padding.
It is durable and robust enough to hold 400 lbs. of user weight and 6’2” of user height. You can adjust the incline board up to 6 levels, 26 degrees to change the level of resistance. There is also a cable/pulley system provided to aid upper body and arm exercises, but we recommend using dumbbells to get effective results.
With Total Gym XLS, you can perform over 80 various exercises, right from stretching to cardio. When not in use, you can just fold the equipment and store it compactly.
- Includes leg pulley accessory, 2-piece wing attachment for greater range of motion and a ribbed squat stand.
- You will get 5 workout DVDs, a workout wall chart, meal plan and other workout tools along with the product for ease of use.
- Provides up to 80 workout options on one piece of equipment.
- Measures 19”W x 90”L x 43”H when in use; Measures 19”W x 51”L x 9”H when folded.
- 16” x 47” padded glide board includes head support; Resistance level can be adjusted up to 6 levels.
- Pulley system features 1000 lb. vinyl coated cable and soft synthetic rubber padded handles.
3. Bowflex PR1000
If you are on a budget, here’s your best home gym for a total body workout and enhanced toning. This versatile piece of equipment provides endless workout variations with its unique design and provided accessories.
Bowflex PR1000 is a compact machine driven by Bowflex Power Rod® resistance to offer total body workout. You get to perform over 25 different full body exercises on the PR1000. And, you can further achieve complete strength workout with 5 lbs. to 210 lbs. of resistance levels. Harder you work, the greater will be the resistance provided by Power Rod® unit.
What makes it even more versatile is the ‘Media Rack’ that serves as your personal training platform. It can hold any of your smartphone or tablet, so you can easily access free Bowflex video content and workouts, whilst exercising. This helps maximize your workout results.
PR1000 also provides 7 pre-trainer built workouts right out of the box, so you can get started right away without any guess work.
The vertical bench press and pulley system allows for easy incline, decline or flat angle positions. With this system, you can get a defined chest through presses, a strong core through ab crunches and a solid back through pull-downs. Built-in rowing station further enhances your calorie-burning workouts, whereas the Bowflex hand grips will sculpt and tone your arms.
- Robust home gym provides over 25 strength exercise options
- Up to 210 pounds of Power Rod® resistance to increase the intensity of workouts.
- Includes adjustable weight bench with cable pulley system for endless exercise variations.
- Weight bench has a foldable design to save space.
- Comes with a media rack that can hold a tablet or smartphone to access Bowflex workout videos whilst exercising.
- Bench can be converted into a rolling seat for aerobic rowing. Whereas, 4” roller cushions allow for comfortable leg curls and leg extension.
4. Bowflex PR3000 Home Gym
Here’s an advanced version of Bowflex PR1000, Bowflex PR3000 Home Gym which is more durable, offers greater resistance and better exercise variations.
If you are looking for a compact, space-saving machine that provides full body workout, this has to be your ultimate choice. Again, PR3000 also features the standard 210 pounds of Power Rod® resistance, which can be further upgraded to 310 pounds for more challenging workouts.
Perform more than 50 exercises on PR3000, as it offers a ‘Lat Tower’ to be used for arms and back workouts. Whereas, the vertical bench serves as a strong platform to build your chest and core.
What makes it different from PR1000 is the Triple Function Hand Grips that will allow for different exercise variations. The Bowflex PR3000’s ‘No Change Pulley System’ lets you switch between different exercises, without wasting much time and increasing the effectiveness of workouts.
No need for cable changes between sets!
- Versatile ankle cuffs or hand grip with ‘Quick Change Power Rod system’ will enhance performance and add more flexibility to workouts.
- Offers over 50 gym-quality exercise options
- Features standard Power Rod® resistance from 5 pounds to 210 pounds. The resistance is upgradable up to 310 pounds.
- Heavy-duty steel frame offers great durability.
- Padded roller cushions make your leg curls and extensions more comfortable.
- It has 300 pounds of maximum user weight capacity.
5. Powerline BSG10X Home Gym
Last but not the least, the Body-Solid Powerline BSG10X Home Gym is another well-built, capable machine that combines the functionalities of a traditional gym.
Space-saving design, quick to assemble and excellent range of workouts are some of the main highlights of the Powerline BSG10X.
The home gym comes 90% pre-assembled out of the box, as the 2200 lb. steel cables and nylon pulleys come already hung and strung by the company. All you need to do is fasten 9 bolts quickly; the whole process takes about 30 minutes.
The home gym is quite compact with 42”W x 80”H, so you can install it anywhere.
Its 160 lbs. adjustable weight stack comes with 8-position adjustable press arm, high/mid/low pulleys and a leg developer station. Such design lets you perform over 40 exercise variations that are biomechanically correct and safe. Traditional press bar is designed for better muscle development and maximum chest sculpting.
BSG10X also comes with a 48” lat bar which provides full range of motion via bilateral, unilateral, diverging and converging movements. The home gym has ‘no-cable-change design’, so you can quickly change from one exercise to the next one without wasting time.
Now comes the quality of the equipment, the Powerline BSG10X is crafted from 11-gauge main frame to showcase maximum durability, strength and function. Whereas, the telescopic, chrome-plated seat post lets you smoothly adjust the seat position as per your liking.
- Steel aircraft-grade cables with 2200 lbs. tension strength feature swiveling ends. These cables require low maintenance and are quite durable.
- Electrostatically applied powder coat finish to the 11-gauge steel frame, so as to deliver maximum durability.
- Includes 48” lat bar, ab crunch harness and a low row bar.
- Press station, upper/mid/low pulley are all 1:1 ratio.
- Measures 70”L x 42”W x 80”H and weighs around 328 pounds.
All of the products mentioned above are best home gyms offered at different price ranges. Each of them showcases various capabilities and features, but all of them are deliberately designed to assist you in getting a fitter body.
We hope that this detailed review of top 5 best home gyms of 2019 provided insights into how these units work and what they can do for you, all in the comfort of your home. Go ahead and select the one that meets your workout requirements.